What is the best way to properly care for cashmere?
Cashmere is a fabric that offers a very comfortable feel, but at the same time is quite delicate. Therefore, it is important to properly care for cashmere garments. This is the only way to keep them soft and cuddly. Here you can read about the best way to care of your favorite pieces.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS AT ONE GLANCE
- Avoid rubbing so as not to damage the fibers and thus prevent matting.
- Do not wash the garment warmer than 30°C
- Do not hang the cashmere garment on a hanger, but fold it carefully
How do I wash Cashmere?
Cashmere can be washed in three different ways:
- Machine wash: if you want to clean your garment in the washing machine, wash it using the wool program. When doing so, make sure that the spin cycle is no higher than 600 revolutions per minute.
- Hand wash: Hand wash is probably the gentlest way to wash cashmere products. To do this, put a little wool detergent and shampoo in a bowl, and let your garment soak. After that, you can rinse it with clean water. Make sure that the water is not warmer than 30°C and avoid rubbing the fabric. In this way you can prevent matting.
- Cleaning by a professional company: Professional service providers usually know exactly how to handle different fabrics. However, be careful here as well: Read the reviews of your chosen company first to make sure the service is really good.
Do not hang the garment on a hanger. Carefully fold your cashmere product and store it in the closet.
What to do in case of stains:
Be especially careful with stains: avoid rubbing in any case, as it damages the fibers. To lift stubborn stains, put a little shampoo on the stain before putting the garment in the washing machine. Alternatively, going to the dry cleaners may be the last resort.
What to do about pilling:
Pilling is the term for small nodules that form on cashmere wool over time. This process is perfectly normal. By using a pilling razor or comb, the wool can be smoothed out a bit again.
As you can see, cashmere needs a little more care than the conventional wool sweater. But the effort is worth it, because with the right care you will enjoy your cashmere piece for a long time.